VALIDATING OUR ASSUMPTIONS – The Challenge of Circular Reasoning - Read page 169 - 188.
1) Review again the circular arguments that adherents of each of the religions, including atheism, make.
2) Explore the relationship between faith assumptions and the facts that either support or contradict them.
3) Explore the human dilemma of needing solid answers, yet having to make heart assumptions, because we simply do not have the ability to verifiably prove the “truth claims” we need to make.
4) Discuss the text box on page 167 and the bolded statement on page 183, “We do need to make the leap of faith but so does everyone else.”
5) Do you agree / disagree; Is religion more foundational than philosophy? Does the philosopher need to make basic foundational assumptions before s/he can even begin the reasoning process?
6) Process the short section “An Honest Question” page 185. Do you agree / disagree with the suggested approach?
7) Bible Passage to consider John 7:16-17 2 Corinthians 4:1 - 6